Skip to main content
Solved

T25 can't check or update firmware

• 11 July 2024
  • 5 replies

I have a T25 modem and XFinity as my cable provider. Apparently I am not getting the internet speeds available because the firmware on my modem is not up to date. There is no information about the firmware version on the surfboard app that is connected to the device, and I'm also not able to log into the modem settings using the IP address and any browser. I just get an error message saying that that IP address cannot be accessed. Of course my warranty on the modem just ran out last month, and I do not want to pay $40 to access the surfboard customer service. Has anyone had this issue where they cannot locate the firmware version let alone log in to their account to update it?

I am aware of the disputes between weather it is Xfinity or Arris that has the capacity to update the firmware. I was just on a very long phone call with Xfinity and they are insisting that it is nothing on their end to update the firmware. I have unplugged the modem several times to force a reset, but without being able to identify which firmware version is in effect, this is completely useless.

Thank you in advance for anyone who can provide guidance. 

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS ( T25 ), because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer.

Even for the modem used by the customer there is no option to update firmware manually or by the manufacturer on the service provider can do the update on the modem when its required.

Badge

Thank you for this information. I contacted our MSO, Xfinity, about updating the firmware for our Arris T25, which is an approved modem, and multiple representatives were adamant that they do not push firmware updates on modems they don't supply. I pushed the issue because I had read on this forum that the MSOs are responsible for the updates, but they did not budge. It looks like the latest firmware is from September 2020. Xfinity refreshed the modem signal and I've reset it myself with no updates to the modem firmware. 

Does anyone have any suggestions how to make any headway with Xfinity on this issue? It's incredibly frustrating and my download and upload speeds are less than half of what we are paying for. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

ARRIS develops the software update and makes it available to service providers.  The service providers qualify, test, and distribute the software update to devices on their network.  ARRIS has limited control or visibility over distribution by the service providers.

Since you are experiencing a slow internet connection, I suggest checking the cable signals to make sure they are all in range.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/T25-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge

Thank you very much for this helpful guide about how to check the cable signals' ranges. My upstream transmit power levels  are low. I have 4 channels all with symbolic rates of 2560 Kysm/sec but the power levels are all 38.5 dBmv instead of within the 45 - 52 range. 

​​​ I refresh the page multiple times with the same report, and then also power cycled the modem without any change in the power level for the Upstream transmit power levels.

When I called Xfinity for support and asking them to adjust the signal level two within the acceptable level range, they told me that they tested the signal on their end and it was "fine" and that there was nothing further they could do on their end because the modem was not their property.

Do you have any further suggestions since Xfinity does not seem like they will be doing anything to assist.

Thank you very much for your help! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I would suggest visiting www.arris.com/consumersupport for further assistance.