Solved

g36 and Xfinity connection drops daily

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have to reboot router almost every day.  This is unacceptable level of maintenance for a $300 router.  Will Arris ever address this issue ?   I’m thinking of going back to my old router since honestly there’s no discernible difference in performance.  Is there a fox for this?   I’ve changed the channel to manual and that helped.  I might get two days.  Please help.  

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Support 20 June 2023, 23:27

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Kristen Westermann

We understand that you are having intermittent connection issue on G36, for this case to understand the issue better we need some more details, 

Is this happening on both the network 2.4 and 5G as well?

Is this happening only on Wi-Fi or even with direct connection to the modem , have you checked with direct connection?

Userlevel 1
Badge

The entire connection just drops.  Nothing works.  It slows down for a bit then it’s over.  And this is every day. With the number of complaints about this model it’s astounding there’s no fix for this issue.  Xfinity told me to buy this one.  

Userlevel 1

I’ve been having the same issue with my G36 since I purchased it a month or two ago. Xfinity. user. My Devices  all connect and show internet but are extremely laggy, as proven by speed tests. Upload seems less effected, it’s the download that trips mine up. Alexa devices can’t respond or take 20 seconds to give an answer or feedback they can’t connect. Laptop data comes in very very short bursts of data -not complete web pages and then sits idle for 30 seconds or more until the next burst.  

Ring  notifies that it has goes offline and cutover to cellular and that usually is how I know it’s acting up, that’s when I reboot/power cycle it.

Restarting the router fixes it until it happens again a day or so later. I’ve been looking for some way to have it automatically power cycle each night. Smart plug with resident schedule memory or similar.

Hard wired devices may or may not go down with it. My Arlo shows orange (offline) less often than my Ring goes to cellular.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So how do we fix this?   Is rebooting daily the only option here. Does anyone from manufacturing read this board?  TIA. 

Badge

I have been dealing with the same issue. Arris tech support reads from scripts. They couldnt get me off the phone fast enough. No knowledge of system operations, error codes, their answer is to reboot the modem. 

Badge

Just a FYI - Has anyone inquired what your upstream signal strength is? - Here is a link to Ama_zon customer - “

Latest Update:

I found the issue by calling Arris support but I am not sure how to fix it.

According to Arris support the QAM Upstream signal power or strength should be between 45 to 51 for my G36 model, but Xfinity is only sending between 39 to 42.

I contacted Xfinity again told them , but they say if they send a technician they have to charge me $100 since this is a personal modem. Cannot increase this signal on phone by a Xfinity customer service representative it has to be through a tech visit.

They suggested changing the modem,I know this is ridiculous.

Looks like Arris modems need higher power than other modems in the market.” - https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B096W6X41Y/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-barn

Userlevel 1

As I alluded to in my post… I bought a cheap Timer/power plug that has it’s own memory, now my G36 router is shut off and turns on a minute later in the middle of the night. This has improved the service overall, but it’s not bullet proof, I still get laggy Alexa replies during the day.and other oddities 

FWIW, I have 2 dedicated Xfinity lines. the one in my office has an old Arris surfboard SG10 I think. And that is flawless throughout my work day, so it’s not the internet to my house, it’s this router. I’m going to look into returning it and finding something else that actually works.  Arris - Are you trying to fix this issue?

Badge

I have to reboot router almost every day.  This is unacceptable level of maintenance for a $300 router.  Will Arris ever address this issue ?   I’m thinking of going back to my old router since honestly there’s no discernible difference in performance.  Is there a fox for this?   I’ve changed the channel to manual and that helped.  I might get two days.  Please help.  

I found this thread from about a month ago that seems to have a solution. I am about to try it because my G36 is having the same issue. Has anybody tried the solution from the link below? (Disable SIP from the ALG settings)

It seems everybody with a G36 and Xfinity has gone through the same problem ever since Comcast did their “updates.” Also Comcast removed the G36 from approved modems within the last few weeks so I bet they are aware of this problem and don’t have a fix.

Xfinity Internet update

June 16th, 2023

We’ve identified an issue with your Arris internet modem

We’ve noticed intermittent connectivity issues with your internet service and have identified the cause to be a defect with your Arris Surfboard G36 internet modem + router. Arris is working on a software update that should fix the problem. Because the update may not be available for several months, we have taken steps in the interim to improve your connection and provide you with the best possible experience. These proactive measures should resolve your intermittent connectivity issues and provide you with fast speeds, but your modem may not achieve the full speeds included in your Xfinity Internet package until the Arris software update is deployed.

No action is required at this time. However, if you want to ensure you’re getting the full speeds included in your internet package, you have a few options:

You can call 1-800-xfinity to lease our Xfinity Gateway, which is a combined modem and WiFi router.

For a list of other devices available for purchase that are compatible with our network, visit xfinity.com/support/devices.

To change your current Xfinity package, visit xfinity.com.

Otherwise, we’ll reach out again once we receive further information from the device manufacturer on when a fix will be in place.

Thank you for being an Xfinity customer.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

i got the same message from xfinity literally hours ago.  Hilarious reading responses above by Arris support as though they know nothing about the issue.  

To support- when will the update be available?

Yep.  My internet has be dropping out daily for at least 7 months.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello everyone,

We release a statement last Friday pertaining to connection drop outs you’re experiencing with the G36 on Xfinity service.  Thank you for our patience and understanding as we are working through it with Xfinity to resolve this matter.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I signed up with Comcast 1.2gb service in Oct of 2021. from the very beginning I didnt want to rent
the Xfinity modem and searched for another vendor that had at least one 2.5gb port, which the G36
did, so that’s what i bought for around $300.  Since there was only one 2.5gb port (and four 1gb ports), if you wanted to expand that port you had to get a switch that also had 2.5gb ports. I went through several switch manufacturers and ended up sending two back because the G36 2.5gb port would not
work with a switch in between. I finally ended up purchasing QNAP’s switch (QSW-2104-2S-US) as a final attempt and that didnt work either.  I tried working with Arris and QNAP but Arris was totally useless. QNAP support did all they could to try and resolve even trying to help me get a log of transactions back and forth, but Arris , on two separate calls, just stopped responding to me.

Ultimately I was never able to resolve the switch issue but i was pretty sure it was an Arris issue
since i tried several switches and none worked.  

So then about a month ago i get a letter in the mail from Comcast/xfintiy that they would be updating lines in our area to the new 10G service (has nothing to do with cellphones 4G/5G service) and there
might be disruptions while they did that. supposedly when complete they would be offering 2GB speeds and higher upload speeds.  From that moment on i experienced all the drops, speed reductions and poor service from my Xfinity/G36 setup.   

Then i get the letter from Comcast saying there is an issue with the G36 with a fix 7months away.
They offered their very own modem lease free for one year…. i figured what the heck, lets see how it works.  Well not only did that resolve the issue, but it also works with the QNAP switch too!  Also i have been noticing higher speeds on all devices and sometimes even hitting 1.4gbs!

I am not a big fan of rental equipment, i like to own my own stuff, but i think i may just keep this XB8 modem/router (model# CGM498COM).  Even if Arris does come out with a firmware update to restore connectivity and speed issues, i doubt they will every address the fact that their single 2.5gb port does not work through any switches. maybe not a big deal for some, but it was for me.  Now i am stuck with a $300 doorstop!

Luckily my G36 modem was purchased through Amazon 2 weeks ago so I am returning it. Wifi calls are dropping constantly. It’s a disgrace that Xfinity and Arris have not figured this out. I work from home and cannot have this poor quality interrupting my business.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

i have had for almost two years and am still requesting a refund since it is still under warranty and they can not send me a new one (because it wont work).  In True Arris fashion, i would say it was their lack of response when Xfinity tried to work with them to get the G36 up to speed.  Havent heard back from Arris in over a week so i will soon be submitting a complaint to the state attorney general!

Badge

After finally getting the Xfinity modem  (XB8), my speed has increased and the 2.5GB port works with my 2.5GB switch. The G36 speed had fallen and it did not work with my 2.5Gb switch. After loging into the XB8 I can see that it looks much like the G36. I have the xfinity modem free for a year and will decide what I will do after that,

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@cerickson54 , i have the exact same scenario here. G36 replaced with XB8 and all previous issues are gone now.  What brand name 2.5gb switch are you using?

Badge

I am using a TP-LINK, 8 port 2.5GB switch. model TL-SG108-M2.

Badge

If anyone finds a cable modem/router with a 2.5GB port that actually works with a 2.5GB switch, let me know. thanks……….

Badge

Arris needs to get out of the game. They obviously don’t have the corporate relationships to properly serve their customers.

Badge +1

Hello everyone,

We release a statement last Friday pertaining to connection drop outs you’re experiencing with the G36 on Xfinity service.  Thank you for our patience and understanding as we are working through it with Xfinity to resolve this matter.

hiya, this isn’t just G36! I have a voice enabled SVG2482. As of this week, I my Arris unit restarts every few minutes. I can’t get through a 20 minute meeting. I can’t rely on the unit to browse this page and post this. I’m using a phone hotspot. It seems none of your units are compatible with Xfinity. 

Badge +1

After finally getting the Xfinity modem  (XB8), my speed has increased and the 2.5GB port works with my 2.5GB switch. The G36 speed had fallen and it did not work with my 2.5Gb switch. After loging into the XB8 I can see that it looks much like the G36. I have the xfinity modem free for a year and will decide what I will do after that,

how did you get one for free? I have a tech coming and am hoping they will offer something similar. Or at least long enough to help me switch to Fiber without extra cost. Seems getting rid of both Xfinity and this Arris unit are the way to go.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@cerickson54 - in the email they sent me there was a brand new promotional code.

i just took that to the local xfinity store and they gave me the XB8 modem.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello everyone,

hiya, this isn’t just G36! I have a voice enabled SVG2482. As of this week, I my Arris unit restarts every few minutes. I can’t get through a 20 minute meeting. I can’t rely on the unit to browse this page and post this. I’m using a phone hotspot. It seems none of your units are compatible with Xfinity. 

I would recommend the XB8 modem from Xfinity and be done with Arris.

Badge

how did you get one for free? I have a tech coming and am hoping they will offer something similar. Or at least long enough to help me switch to Fiber without extra cost. Seems getting rid of both Xfinity and this Arris unit are the way to go.

In the email from xfinity they offered one year free using the XB8. I called them and they sent me one.