Skip to main content
Solved

Arris just lost a long standing customer.

I have been a long time user of Arris modems. My new S33 that I have had for three months quit working today. It was very hot to the touch and I suspect it was overheating. My old Arris modem was relinked and works fine so I know it’s a modem problem. Arris refuses to repair/replace the modem because it was purchased new off of ebay. Wrapped in a box…… Never connected to the internet. Half of me understands this policy but the unwillingness to help does not. No offer of a partial credit even. I’ll be switching to a different company and will never purchase from you again. Its not about money for me. It’s the unwillingness to do absolutely anything. So here I go to look for other brands. 

If you bought it from a reseller on ebay, why would arris refund you? 

Thats like buying it a used computer off craigslist and getting upset that HP won’t replace it when it doesn’t work. You only get warranty/replacements when bought through official sells or direct from manufacturer. this isn’t unique to arris. 

It wasn't used. Brand new. I understand the policy but a modem that lasted less than 3 months I do not. They stated they'll cover it if it was Amazon but not eBay. What's the difference. At minimum a minimal discount on a new one could be offered if it was purchased in such a manner. I could care less about the money. Its not about that. They had no interest in even evaluating it as a safety issue after they new where I bought it. I don't lie so I told the truth. Take it for testing without replacement being offered would've even sufficed me. The disregard for the entire situation after I told them where I bought it which I wouldn't have had I even considered needing it replaced sooner than a year. They've always lasted me for years in the past. Lesson learned. Already got a CM2000 installed and will plug the s33 in and watch it catch on fire. 😆

It might be new but companies aren’t going to warranty devices from 3rd parties. They’re not in control of what happens in shipping, handling, packing, etc. Amazon is a authorized seller through the arris store on there. Ebay isn’t. Its not about evaluating safety on it, its that they can’t be held liable for what a 3rd party did to it. You can contact ebay and the seller to see what options you have but that’d be through who sold it to you. 

I know. No one is going to do anything. I'm just ranting. I'm not denying that the policy isn't smart on their side. The modem was new however on my side and still only lasted 2.5 months. Not even getting through one sentence before saying they won't do anything after being told that "We will replace it" in a chat was just a nail in the credibility of the company after having a defective device. I will melt it down and use it for a paperweight but regardless I will not be buying another one just to have the same issue. 

Great discussion @plemans and @Jared4454.  For better experience with our product, we highly recommend acquiring our retail products from authorize retailers like Amazon.com, Best Buy, or from our online store.  Auction site like ebay, and marketplace resellers on Amazon, Walmart, and eBay sites are not authorize resellers.   Our limited warranty covers products purchase from our authorized retailers.

@Jared4454  I’ll reach out to you to gather additional information to review your case. 

Arris reached out to me and corrected this issue for me. Known for future, do not purchase items from eBay. Their support was great even though it took this post to show interest and unfortunately I already purchased a cm2000 although the thought of reaching out an showing interest in a possible fire hazard is all I care about. Well done Arris. 👍🏻

The CM2000 is a pretty solid modem. I’ve been using one for over a year without issues.