Solved

Parental Controls on Arris SBG7600AC2 cannot be set.

• 22 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

After logging into the Arris gateway, the parental controls page is greyed out and unusable, as described at this link:

https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG7600AC2-Parental-Controls-Disabled/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

The unusable page is accompanied by a pop-up stating:

“ARRIS recommends using the McAfee Secure Home Internet for Parental Control functions.  Visit the ARRIS Android and APPLE Play stores for the Mobile Application to manage this service.  Please refer to Secure Home Internet documentation at SURFboard.com for more information.”

This message is, of course, somewhat difficult to parse, and references the nonexistent “APPLE Play store”

When downloading the “McAfee Secure Home Internet” app onto my mobile phone (already ridiculous having to do this), I am met with a page asking for my Mcafee e-mail address. When I input my e-mail address, which is already associated with a Mcafee account, I get an error saying “Sorry, we couldn’t verify your email address -- try again.” There are no other options in this app other than dismissing this window or viewing the privacy policy.

The lack of support for such a recent gateway, and destruction of functionality like this, is extremely frustrating.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 26 September 2023, 21:26

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

We assume the  modem that you are using as got the McAfee logo on it and also facing the difficulties in accessing the parental control due to the error “McAfee Secure Home Internet” .

Try doing a Reset and access the GUI page if still facing the same issue , As the sbg7600AC2 McAfee is a legacy product and we don’t have any more facilities to support it hence we recommend you to purchase a sbg7600AC2 without any McAfee logo on it . 

Badge +1

That’s absurd. Your previous (now deleted) reply directly asked whether it has the “McAfee” logo on it, which I answered in the affirmative. You previously stated that I should BUY a sbg7600AC2 with the McAfee logo on it in order for the gateway to function properly.

(By the way, we are talking about a combination modem/router gateway. It’s not just a modem, and it’s a little surprising that you keep referring to it that way).

There is no assumption to be made on your part. Also no assumptions need to be made about the error with the “McAfee Secure Home Internet” App, which is nonfunctional.

Destroying advertised functionality for your “legacy products” and advising customers to just buy a new one is ridiculous. This is an almost $200 gateway. How could anybody trust you to not destroy your own products in the future?

To be clear, this gateway is less than 3 years old. This is not some ancient piece of hardware that you have broken.

Badge +1

Before you lock replies, I did not mark this as the “best answer.” It is a non-answer. Somebody on your moderator team did that themselves, just so future onlookers are aware.